Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Sling-Shot Diary

Well, this is the final installment of the 'Evija-in-America' chapters in our Lontz Book of Life. She departed for Latvia a week ago. Although we had a slow start, this experience mimicked what I like to call the "sling shot" effect. Most displaced kids who initially pull away from our family don't get to stay there long. They quickly fall prey and succumb to our family's showering of affections and quirkiness. Then it's like they were a sling shot stretched tight that finally was released and BAM! They are ours in a rush! And we get to enjoy them being full throttle IN our family. As a legitimate member of the Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Team Lontz. For a short time. Then they have to leave. :( This is the way it's worked with all our years in foster care and in some more informal settings where we have provided care to those who need it.

I don't mind the first part of the "sling shot" effect, for I have confidence that LOVE WINS and in most cases, we'll see breakthrough in the lives of each child we encounter. There is NOTHING that compares to the joy of witnessing their growth and healing. Nothing can replace the satisfaction of being a part of that process. But it's the last part (the leaving) that I'm weary of tolerating in our lives. I had lunch with a close friend (a full member of Team Lontz) today. He knows me well; so he knows I don't deal well with pesky things like Loss or Closure or....Subtlety. He was asking me how I felt about some recent hard Losses in our lives and I responded with this dainty gem:

"I want to strangle people who say to me: 'It's better to have Loved and Lost than never to have Loved at all'!! Even though it's true, I wish these same people would acknowledge that it's BEST to Love and Keep in a consistent healthy relationship than Love and Lose!!!! Grrr!!!"

(Yes, I actually growled.)

What can I say? I have some pretty good friends who can handle me when I'm raw, honest, and face to face. In that, I'm so incredibly blessed! Also, the oft quoted adage rings true on some level. To those children and adults that I've Loved and Lost~ even though it hurts~ I'm honored I got the chance to Love you once. (and still do.) But, we do our best to be keepers when we can. All 4 of us founding members of Team Lontz absolutely LOVE our broad and very extended family we've been given over the years. We span several states and countries now. Yes, we've gone global!

BUT we all 4 also long for the long term. I really don't know if permanent adoption is in our future, but I know it's a desire of our hearts. Not that I would trade the calling we've had thus far. We love collecting family as we go through this crazy adventure called Life. We want to expand through honorary and permanent means. There's room in our lives to do both: They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Why? Because we don't divide our love in this family. That's not God's way. We MULTIPLY it so it overflows!!!! Many times over. Amen and amen!

Love and blessings to you this night!

No comments:

Post a Comment